FAQ

This list of FAQ helps us serve our customers more effectively. Please send feedback and additional questions to info@letsgoconvert.com.

How do I add you to my CRM or mail manager?

When adding the new user, please use the email address of your account lead (eg., quimby@studiohyperset.com).

To add us to Salesforce, please follow these steps.

To add us to HubSpot, please follow these steps.

To add us to MailChimp, please follow these steps.

To add us to Zoho, please follow these steps.

How do I add you to my Google Analytics account?

Follow these steps to add us to your Google Analytics account.

When adding the new user, please use the email address of your account lead (eg., quimby@studiohyperset.com). When adding us, please give us all permissions save “Manage Users.” We won’t need that.

To learn more about GA user permissions, visit this page.

How do I use a custom URL for my GoConvert install?

By default, we run a customer’s front-end assets from the following URL: app.letsgoconvert.com/customer-name-here For the most part, we haven’t found this affects performance. However, for understandable cosmetic reasons, some customers want to run GoConvert from a custom URL.

If you want to use a custom URL, please visit your domain registrar (GoDaddy, &c.) and add the following to your domain record:

  • Type: A
  • Name/Host: lp.yourdomain.com
  • Points To/Value: 72.47.234.174

Please note, the subdomain that appears in the second bullet is entirely arbitrary. It can read however you want as long as “yourdomain.com” matches your top-level domain. Some popular examples, using the letsgoconvert.com TLD, follow:

  • go.letsgoconvert.com
  • page.letsgoconvert.com
  • pages.letsgoconvert.com

How do I show my Facebook page as the ad sponsor?

By default, Facebook makes the ad account the post sponsor. In our case, this means “GoConvert” will be listed at the top of the ad and “app.letsgoconvert.com” will be listed as the display link. For the most part, we haven’t found this affects performance. However, for understandable cosmetic reasons, some customers want to display themselves as the ad sponsor.

If you want us to list your page and URL, please do the following. On Facebook, please:

Note, sharing your page with us won’t allow anyone to access your personal Facebook account. It will only allow us to analyze data and post ad content on your behalf.

At your domain registrar (GoDaddy, &c.), please also add the following to your domain record:

  • Type: A
  • Name/Host: lp.yourdomain.com
  • Points To/Value: 72.47.234.174

Please note, the subdomain that appears in the second bullet is entirely arbitrary. It can read however you want as long as “yourdomain.com” matches your top-level domain. Some popular examples, using the letsgoconvert.com TLD, follow:

  • go.letsgoconvert.com
  • page.letsgoconvert.com
  • pages.letsgoconvert.com

What are the reCAPTCHA scores I see in emails from GoConvert?

GoConvert uses Google’s reCAPTCHA v3 to score all inbound leads. This helps us ensure we’re sending our customers real people rather than bots.

A score of -1 means Google cannot score the lead for some reason. 0.1 means there’s a 10% chance it’s a human, and 0.9 means there’s a 90% chance it’s a human.

For the most part, customers will see -1 and scores like .7 and .9, which suggest there’s a 70% and 90% the lead is a real human being.

Why do some leads have garbled or missing hostnames or location information?

GoConvert generates a lead’s location and hostname from his/her IP address. Sometimes, GoConvert is unable to read or translate a user’s IP address. In these cases, customers may find certain information is missing from the lead record.